Monday, January 31, 2011

Mr. Stink by David Walliams


So I must admit that when I first saw this book I did a double-take with the author's name, David Walliams. The David Walliams? The brilliant sketch comedian/writer/actor that dream-up and starred in "Little Britain?" How could he possibly have written a children's book?

Then I held the book in my hands and noticed something else, the illustrator, Quentin Blake. The Quentin Blake? One of the most iconic illustrators of our time, most known for illustrating Roald Dahl's books.

So no pressure, but I was about to embark on a mission to read a book that holds a lot of anticipation with regard to talented individuals. But there was one question that nagged me. What in the world was David Walliams doing writing a children's book?

And then I started to read. And read, and read, and read. I couldn't put it down. Mr. Stink is a story about a man-a wanderer, a tramp, a bum, and a lovely shy girl named Chloe. Chloe deals with an over-achieving younger sister and a mother focused on her own political aspirations by befriending Mr. Stink. And as the name implies he really does stink; takes a bath just once a year! The resulting friendship helps Chloe see her own life a little differently as she uncovers the true Mr. Stink. My only difficulty with this book (other than not being able to put it down) is that many of the references to British parliament or UK pop culture may be lost on young American readers. (I hate to admit that even I found myself looking up words or phrases here and there.) Other than that, this book is truly a delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment